A Guide to Visiting Rome in April 2022 | Attractions, Weather & Museums
Rome is one of the top tourist destinations in the world and has a rich history and culture. In this city, you will find many architectural wonders including the Colosseum, Sistine Chapel, Pantheon, and more. Apart from the historical attractions, the city is also filled with parks, fountains, and fun streets for visitors to explore. Although you can visit Rome throughout the year, April is a good time to plan a trip for budget travelers. Read on to know more about what you can do in Rome in April!
Is April a Good Time to Visit Rome?
April is one of the spring months to visit Rome when the weather is pleasant and there are fewer tourists in the city. Everything looks absolutely gorgeous during this month and there are many festivals to attend in Rome,
Why You Should Visit
- This is the shoulder season in Rome so, there are fewer tourists and short waiting lines at attractions.
- The weather in Rome in April is mild with slightly longer days for you to enjoy.
- During this month, you will find colorful flowers such as poppies, azaleas, etc. blooming through the streets of Rome.
- There are many festivals and celebrations to attend in Rome in April.
- You can get good prices on the flights and hotels during this month.
What to Look Out For
- Although the weather in Rome in April is mild, it can get cold in the early mornings and late evenings.
- There is a high chance of rainfall in the month of April.
- It can be a little cold to swim in the water in Rome in April.
Overview of Weather in Rome in April
More About Weather in Rome in April
How hot is Rome in April?
The weather in Rome in April is cool and pleasant. The spring season brings the average temperature high to 18°C while the average temperature low is 8°C.
Can You Swim in Rome in April?
The water temperature in Rome in April is around 15.6ºC, making it too cold to swim. But if you don’t mind the cold, then you might enjoy swimming in Rome during this month.
Does it rain in Rome in April?
Yes, there are 13 rainy days in Rome in April.
Is Rome Windy in April?
With an average wind speed of 11.1mph, it is not at all windy in Rome in April.
Best Things to do in Rome in April
12. Roman Forum
This historical site from ancient Rome is a must-visit in the city. It was originally a marketplace called Forum and is currently surrounded by ruins of important ancient government buildings. Visitors can explore this historical site and learn more about the history of Rome through the ruins found here.
April Timings: Daily from 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM
Festivals in Rome in April
Festa della Primavera
One of the top festivals to attend in Rome is Festa della Primavera in which visitors can enjoy hundreds of fun events. From theater event concerts to sports events, there are a lot of fun entertainment options available at this festival.
Holy Week and Easter
Dates: 10 April 2022 – 17 April 2022
Holy Week and Easter are quite popular in Rome and as such celebrated. There is the Palm Sunday mass to attend followed by the Via Crucis procession, and the Good Friday mass in Colosseum. On Easter, the Sunday Mass takes place in Saint Peter’s Square.
Festa della Liberazione
Dates: 25 April 2022
While this is a somber date for Italy, Festa della Liberazione celebrates the liberation of Italy at the end of World War II in 1945. There are ceremonies performed at the Quirinale Palace and other state venues in Rome. The president also visits the commemoration at the Ardeatine Caves Mausoleum.
Events in Rome in April
Date: 15 April 2022
Venue: Colosseum and Palatine Hill
Another amazing event to participate in when you are exploring Rome is Via Crucis. This event occurs on a Good Friday in which the Pope leads a grand torchlight procession. The procession starts from Colosseum and ends at Palatine Hill while covering the 14 cross stations on the way.
Know Before You Visit Rome in April
What to Wear in Rome in April
- April is one of the spring months in Rome. As a result, the weather is mild and pleasant but there are several rainy days this month.
- Visitors are recommended to wear multiple layers as this makes it easy to remove or add an extra layer whenever needed.
- Wear warm pants, trousers, long skirts, medium-weight tops, and more in Rome in April.
- Do carry a warm jacket, coat, cardigan, and scarves to wear in Rome when it becomes cold in April.
What to Pack in Rome in April
- Power Adapter: A type C, F, or L plug.
- Clothes: Pants, trousers, jeans, sweaters, cardigans, skirts, light tops, warm jackets, coats, and scarves.
- Lightweight windcheater.
- Sturdy pair of walking shoes.
- An umbrella for the rain.
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, and scarf/cap.
- A backpack to carry all your personal belongings when you are exploring the city.
Getting Around Rome in April
- By Metro: Rome has an amazing network of metro and features two major metro lines – Linea A and Linea B. Visitors can use these metros to reach most attractions in Rome including the Colosseum and Vatican City.
- By Bus: One of the best ways to visit various attractions in Rome is by using the amazing bus system here. There are night buses as well to take you to most of the places in the city.
- Rental Bikes/Scooters: You can also rent bikes or scooters to explore Rome freely.
- On Foot: Of course, one of the most amazing ways to experience Rome is by traveling on foot. There are a few attractions in close proximity that you can cover on a leisurely stroll through the city.
Where to Stay in Rome in April
Since Rome is a metropolitan city, you don’t have to worry about finding a suitable accommodation option here. There are many different types of accommodations available including hostels, hotels, resorts, and more. Here are a few of the best accommodation options in different budget ranges to check out.
Budget Hotels: Generator Rome, YellowSquare Rome, Hotel Turner.
Mid Range Hotels: Crowne Plaza Rome – St. Peter’s an IHG Hotel, The Hive Hotel, Napoleon Hotel Roma, River Palace Hotel.
Luxury Hotels: Palazzo Navona Hotel, DoubleTree by Hilton Rome Monti, iQ Hotel Roma, Palazzo Montemartini Rome A Radisson Collection.
What to eat in Rome in April
When in Rome, do as the Romans and try the delectable Roman dishes here. A few of the amazing dishes that you cannot miss out on in Rome in April are mentioned below.
Sagra Del Carciofo Romano – This is a traditional Roman dish that is made using lettuce, fava beans, peas, and artichokes. It is served for a few weeks in April and is full of flavor. This simple dish is slowly cooked and then eaten with an assortment of cheeses and bread.
Abbachio A Scottadito – Abbachio A Scottadito is marinated lamb cutlets that are served so hot that they could literally burn your fingers. It is a popular Easter dish to try as the meat tastes better during the spring months.
Carciofi Romanesco – One of the most popular dishes to try in Rome is the Roman-styled artichokes. This stuffed artichoke dish is braised in olive oil and white wine and is prepared in most traditional households. You can try it in most of the restaurants in Rome in April.
Hacks & Tips to Visit Rome in April
- Rome weather in April is pleasant but it can get cold so, do pack a jacket to wear at night or in the morning.
- You can purchase your tickets for the attractions in advance to get amazing discounts and deals on them.
- Since the weather can be a little unpredictable, it is better to wear layers while exploring the city.
- Wear a comfortable pair of shoes as you will be walking a lot in Rome to explore the sights.
- Make sure to drink lots of water so that you don’t become dehydrated throughout the day.
- Swimming in Rome in April can be a little tricky as the water is cold during this month. Make sure you pack warm swimsuits to enjoy swimming in April.
- Carry an umbrella at all times with you as it can rain anytime in Rome in April.
- Do visit Pantheon on 21st April to watch the sunlight entering the oculus illuminate the entrance. This happens every year on this day.
- Vatican Museums are closed on Easter Friday and Easter Sunday so, plan your visit accordingly.
- All the state museums and archaeological sites offer free entry on the first Sunday of every month.
All Your Questions About Visiting Rome in April Answered
The water temperature in Rome in April is approximately 15.6ºC. This can be a little cold for swimming. If the cold water doesn’t bother you, then you can go swimming in the city in April.
The average sunshine in Rome in April is 6.7 hours a day as it tends to rain a lot during this month.
Make sure to layer your clothes when you are exploring Rome in April. This allows you to remove the jacket when it is pleasant and wear a cardigan when it is cold.
Yes, April is one of the rainiest months in Rome. There are approximately 13 rainy days in this month.
No, Rome is quite budget-friendly for tourists in April as it is the shoulder season. Visitors can get amazing deals and discounts on their flights, hotels, and attraction tickets. Moreover, there is no waiting line at most places.
Rome is a safe city to visit but there are odd thefts and scams taking place throughout the city.
There are many beautiful attractions to see in Rome in April including Colosseum, Palatine Hill, Roman Forum, Trevi Fountains, and more.
The major events to attend in Rome in April are Natale di Roma and Via Crucis.
The average high temperature in Rome in April is 18°C and the average low temperature is 8°C.
Tourists can explore the historical and architectural attractions, explore the many museums here, go on a food tour, and do many fun things in Rome in April.
Rome offers a lot of fun things to do with kids such as going on a food tour, visiting the museums, enjoying a walk in the streets, picnicking in the parks, and so on.
Festa della Primavera, Holy Week and Easter, and Festa della Liberazione are the main festivals celebrated in Rome in April.