A Guide to Visiting Rome in June 2022 | Attractions, Weather, Museums & More
Known to be one of the most romantic cities in the world, Rome is filled with ancient museums and architectural wonders. This is why it is such a popular tourist destination for people who love art and culture. From exploring the Roman Colosseum to museum hopping, this city offers fun things to do throughout the year. But one of the most exciting times to visit Rome has to be in June when you can enjoy the multiple events and festivals in this historic city.
Is June a Good Time to Visit Rome?
June is the beginning of the summer season in Rome with the streets bustling and tourists pouring in. There are lots of outdoor events and festivals to attend in Rome in June, making it a popular month to visit the city.
Why You Should Visit
- This is the beginning of the tourist season as the weather has started warming up with lots of fun activities to do in Rome in June.
- There are many outdoor festivals and events to attend in Rome in June.
- The Rose Garden in Rome is open from June to June, attracting tourists from all over the world.
- Lots of music festivals to enjoy during this month.
What to Look Out For
- The hotel and flight prices are high at this time of the year.
- There will be a long line at the attractions as this is the peak season.
- Crowds at most events and festivals in Rome in June.
Overview of Weather in Rome in June
More About Weather in Rome in June
How hot is Rome in June?
The weather in Rome in June is quite warm as there is plenty of sunshine during this month. The average temperature high in Rome at this time is 29°C and the average temperature low is 20°C.
Can You Swim at Beaches in Rome in June?
Yes, this is one of the best months to go swimming in Rome as the water is warm at an average temperature of 22.4ºC.
Does it rain in Rome in June?
There are very low chances of rainfall in Rome in June with only 4 rainy days throughout the month.
Is Rome Windy in June?
With an average wind speed of 9.7mph, it is not at all windy in Rome in June. A light breeze flows through the city during this month.
Best Things to do in Rome in June
7. Leonardo da Vinci Museum
To learn about the famous painter Leonardo da Vinci, you must visit the Leonardo da Vinci Museum. It features over 200 wooden machines and 65 working models from the codes of da Vinci. Here, you will find lots of interactive machines to play with, making it an ideal museum to visit with your children.
June Timings: Daily from 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM
10. Palazzo Merulana
Contemporary Art Museum
Visit this contemporary art museum in Rome and admire the works of many 20th-century artists. There are over 90 artwork features here from top artists such as Giorgio De Chirico, Mario Sironi, and so on.
June Timings: Wednesday to Sunday – 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM. Closed on Mondays and Tuesdays
12. Roman Forum
A must-visit historical attraction, Roman Forum is surrounded by the ruins of important government buildings from ancient Rome. Visitors can take a guided tour of this ancient Rome marketplace to learn its history throughout the years.
June Timings: Daily from 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM
Festivals in Rome in June
Dates: 16 June 2022
One of the most popular festivals to attend in Rome in June is Corpus Christi. The festival is celebrated with a procession of flowers and a mass which the Pope attends too.
Feast of St. John
Dates: 24 June 2022
Another popular festival to participate in Rome is the Feast of St. John which takes place in the piazza of the San Giovanni church. The locals eat the traditional meal consisting of suckling pig and nails which is followed by concerts and fireworks.
Saints Peter and Paul Day
Dates: 29 June 2022
On this day, Rome celebrates two important saints of Catholicism - Peter, and Paul. The celebration includes special masses, infiorata, and a huge flower collection. There are fireworks also near Castel Sant Angelo to enjoy on this day.
Dates: 2 June 2022
An important day to celebrate in Rome is the city's Republic Day which is a national holiday. It is celebrated with a parade and some fireworks. The President of Italy also lays down a wreath on the tombs of the WWI soldiers.
Events in Rome in June
Know Before You Visit Rome in June
What to Wear in Rome in June
- The weather in Rome in June is warm so, you should carry light summery clothes for your visit.
- Wearing multiple layers of clothes is a good choice as it becomes easier to remove a layer when it gets a little hot.
- Cotton pants, jeans, skirts, shorts, dresses, etc. are a few things to wear in Rome in June.
- Carry a light jacket that you can wear when it becomes slightly cold at night.
What to Pack in Rome in June
- Power Adapter: A type C, F, or L plug.
- Clothes: Jeans, light cotton pants, shorts, blouses, skirts, light tops, light jackets, and dresses. Layer up so that you can remove clothes when you feel hot.
- Sun hat and sunscreen for protection during the day.
- A pair of comfortable walking shoes.
- Water bottle
- A small daypack to carry your belongings when exploring the city.
Getting Around Rome in June
- By Metro: One of the quickest ways to explore Rome is by using the efficient metro system here. There is Linea A and Linea B that connect most attractions close to the Vatican City and Colosseum.
- By Bus: Another great way to explore the city is by using the extensive bus system that connects most neighborhoods in Rome. There are night buses available as well to take you to different parts of the city.
- Rental Bikes/Scooters: A great way to explore the city of Rome is by renting a bike or a scooter. You can reach places where buses and the metro don't go and can take your time to explore everything.
- On Foot: For budget travelers, one of the best ways to explore Rome is by walking. Several attractions are located close to each other and can easily be reached on foot.
Where to Stay in Rome in June
There are quite a few accommodation options available in Rome, depending on your budget. Here are a few popular accommodations to check out in Rome in June.
- Budget Hotels: YellowSquare Rome, The RomeHello, Generator Rome.
- Mid Range: EXE International Palace, Hotel Diana Roof Garden Rome, Augusta Lucilla Palace.
- Luxury Hotels: Hotel NH Collection Giustiniano, Hotel Artemide, DoubleTree by Hilton Rome Monti, Hotel Barocco.
What to eat in Rome in June
Rome serves many summer delicacies that you have to try if you are visiting the city in June. Check out these amazing dishes to sample in Rome in June.
- Gelato – Of course, you have to try the gelato in Rome in the summers. You can choose from many classic and customized flavors available at the gelaterias here.
- Carbonara - A popular pasta dish to try in Rome is Carbonara which is prepared using pancetta, rigatoni, guanciale, and spaghetti. A whole egg is also added to make it creamy and thick with a topping of black pepper.
- Cacio E Pepe - One of the most famous Roman dishes to try in the city is Cacio E Pepe. This pasta dish is a variation of Pecorino Romano and includes aged sheep's milk cheese with pepper, a.k.a pepe.
- Maritozzi - Maritozzi is a type of sweet bun that is enjoyed by everyone in Rome. It is a popular breakfast dish and has several new versions of it nowadays.
Hacks & Tips to Visit Rome in June
- Rome weather in June is warm and can be hot at times so, carry summer clothes for your visit.
- Do pack shorts but don't forget to keep long skirts and trousers for religious places in Rome.
- Book your flights and hotels in advance as this is the tourist season so, you might not find hotels later on or will get them at higher prices.
- There is the possibility of sudden showers in June so, always carry an umbrella.
- Avoid getting gelato that is brightly colored as these might be fake.
- Many attractions are closed to the public on Mondays, so plan your trip carefully.
- Wear a comfortable pair of shoes as you will end up walking a lot in Rome.
- Drink lots of water to avoid dehydration when you are exploring the city.
- Spend time on the beaches and swimming in the sea as the water is warm and pleasant.
- Pack an umbrella for the sudden showers in June.
All Your Questions About Visiting Rome in June Answered
The water temperature in Rome in June is warm with an average temperature of 22.4ºC. As a result, it is the perfect time to hit the beach and go swimming in Rome.
Rome in June experiences clear and sunny skies with average sunshine of 13 hours a day.
Since June is one of the warmer months to visit Rome, visitors are advised to wear layers which will make it easier for them to remove the clothes when it gets hot. Wear loose, cotton clothes to stay comfortable when exploring Rome in June.
Not, the weather in Rome in June is quite dry. There are only 4 rainy days on average in June, allowing tourists to enjoy 13 hours of sunlight during the day for exploring the city.
Rome in June can be a little pricey since it is the tourist season to visit the city. However, if you plan your flight tickets and accommodations in advance, you can plan a reasonably affordable trip.
Despite being a big city, locals deem Rome as very safe to visit. You can take a night stroll without any worries.
There are lots of amazing places to see in Rome in June such as the Pantheon, Roman Forum, Palatine Hill, Vatican Museum, and so much more.
The major events to attend in Rome in June are Rock in Roma, Rome Summer Festival, and Lungo il Tevere.
There are many fun things to do in Rome in June such as exploring the museums, visiting historical sites, experiencing an outdoor festival, and so on.
If you are traveling with family, then some of the best things to do with kids in Rome in June are visiting the festivals, going museum hopping, sightseeing, eating gelato, and more.
There are many amazing festivals to visit in Rome in June including Corpus Christi, Feast of St. John, Saints Peter and Paul Day, and Italian National Day (Republic Day).