A Guide to Visiting Rome in May | Attractions, Weather & Museums
Rome, the capital of Italy, offers something for all kinds of travelers. Whether it is history, culture, or food, this city has it all. From the Roman Colosseum to the Vatican Museums, to the Trevi Fountain, there is a diverse range of attractions available in the city for tourists to explore. During May, visitors will not only enjoy the warm and pleasant weather but perfect spring bloom as well, making it one of the best months to visit Rome. If you are planning a visit to Rome in May, then here is everything you need to know!
Is May a Good Time to Visit Rome?
May is one of the warmer months to visit Rome and is also the beginning of the tourist season in the city. There are low chances of rainfall with around 10-12 hours of sunshine to enjoy during the day.
Why You Should Visit
- May offers you the best weather to explore with bright and long sunny days to enjoy during your visit.
- As this is the start of the tourist season, you can still find hotels and flights at decent prices if you plan in advance.
- Visiting Rome in May means that you have a lot of spring festivals and events to experience such as Primo Maggio, the Rome Outdoor Festival, and so on.
- This month brings the spring flowers in full bloom, making the city come alive with colors and amazing fragrances.
What to Look Out For
- It is the beginning of the tourist season so there will be more people exploring the city.
- If you want good prices, you will have to book your tickets and accommodations in advance.
- It can be a little warm for walks and there are chances of dehydration.
- The waiting lines at the attractions are quite long.
Overview of Weather in Rome in May
Best Things to do in Rome in May
12. Trevi Fountain
City Landmark | Sightseeing
One of the best landmarks to visit in Rome in May is The Trevi Fountain. It is the biggest and most famous water fountain in Rome. Visitors usually drop a coin in the fountain for good luck and prosperity. So, whether you like admiring sculptures or want to make a wish, a visit to Trevi Fountain is a must.
Festivals in Rome in May
Events in Rome in May
Know Before You Visit Rome in May
What to Wear in Rome in May
- Visitors are recommended to wear multiple layers of clothing as it makes it easier to remove a layer when you start feeling hot.
- The weather in this Rome in May is mildly warm and pleasant.
- You can wear summer clothes such as cotton pants, jeans, skirts, dresses, shorts, and more in Rome in May.
- Do carry a light jacket or shrug to wear in the evening when there is a cool breeze flowing through the city.
What to Pack in Rome in May
- Power Adapter: A type C, F, or L plug.
- Clothes: Cotton pants, jeans, shorts, skirts, blouses, tops, and loose-fitted clothes.
- Hat and a light jacket or a shrug.
- Comfortable walking shoes.
- Sunscreen for the day.
- A small backpack to store your essentials and carry around during the day when you are exploring Rome.
Getting Around Rome in May
- By Metro: Metro is by far the most convenient and quickest way to travel around Rome in May. You can use the two metro lines, Linea A and Linea B, to travel around Colosseum and Vatican City.
- By Bus: Another good way to travel around Rome is by using their amazing bus network. It connects most neighborhoods in Rome connects you to places where metros don't reach. Visitors can use the night bus network too for exploring at night too.
- Rental Bikes/Scooters: For those who wish to explore Rome at their own pace, renting a bike or a scooter is a great idea. There are bike/scooter rentals available throughout the city.
Where to Stay in Rome in May
Rome is a huge city with a wide range of accommodation options available. So, whether you are looking for a budget accommodation or a luxurious one, Rome won't disappoint you.
- Budget Hotels: YellowSquare Rome, Generator Rome, Hotel Adriatic.
- Mid Range Hotels: NH Roma Villa Carpegna, Napoleon Hotel Roma, EXE International Palace.
- Luxury Hotels: Hotel NH Collection Roma Palazzo Cinquecento, Romanico Palace Luxury Hotel & SPA, iQ Hotel Roma.
What to eat in Rome in May
When you are visiting Rome, you have to try the delectable cuisine offered here. If you are visiting Rome in May, then here are a few top dishes to try here.
Caprese Salad - A staple yet simple dish to try in Rome is the Caprese Salad which includes slices of tomato and mozzarella cheese. This salad is dressed with olive oil, black pepper, fresh basil, and salt.
Vignarola - One of the top dishes to try in Rome in May is the famous Italian stew named Vignarola. It is prepared using fava beans, peas, asparagus, artichokes, and springtime vegetables and is generally served with bread and cheese.
Italian Gelato - As the weather becomes warm, gelato becomes a necessity when you are in Rome. The best part about Italian Gelato is the different flavors that you have available. From traditional strawberry to salted caramel, you will find all kinds of yum flavors to try here.
All Your Questions About Visiting Rome in May Answered
Yes, the weather in Rome in May is mild and warm. Also, you can explore the city during the long, sunny days with the spring flowers blooming around you.
The average temperature of Rome in May ranges between a high of 20°C and a low of 13°C. So, no, it is not cold in Rome during this month.
The weather in Rome in May is fairly mild and warm with the temperature picking up in the latter part of the month. The temperature ranges between a high of 20°C and a low of 13°C.
It is a little cold in Rome in May so, it is not recommended for swimming. The average seawater temperature during this month is 18.5ºC so, if you don’t mind the cold, you can enjoy swimming in the city.
Yes, you can enjoy bright and long sunny days in Rome in May with an average of 10-12 hours of sunshine daily.
It is important to layer your clothes in Rome in May. This way, you can add a jacket or remove one, depending on the changing weather.
No, the chances of rain are significantly low in May. You can expect rainfall for around 6 days of the month.
Since this is the start of the tourist season in Rome, the prices slowly pick up but if you plan well in advance, you can get good rates for flights, hotels, and attractions.
Although Rome is a safe city to visit, there are chances of petty thefts and tourist scams. So, be careful when you are exploring the city.
There are many famous attractions to visit in Rome in May including Sistine Chapel, Palatine Hill, Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, and so on.
Open House Roma is one of the major events that you cannot miss out on in Rome in May.
The average high is 20°C and the average low is 13°C in Rome in May.
There are lots of fun things to do in Rome in May. You can attend the outdoor festivals, enjoy a walk in the gorgeous streets, go museum hopping, learn the history of Rome, and do so much more.
Rome offers a lot of fun things to do with kids such as a food tour, visiting an amusement park, exploring the fountains, and so on.
Rome Outdoor Festival and Primo Maggio are the main festivals to attend in Rome in May.