Best Time to Visit Dubai | Weather, Events, and Things to do
Rome is the third most visited city in Europe, thanks to its unique history. It welcomes visitors from around the world who are eager to see the city's magnificent monuments and ancient sites, as well as its acclaimed food and vibrant environment. You're guaranteed a grand time no matter when you visit the iconic city but if you're on the lookout for the best time to visit Rome, we have got you.
What's the Best Time to Visit Rome?
- Best Months for Staying Outdoors in Rome: Mid-March and April, September to early November
- Best Months for Sightseeing & Museum Hopping: April, June, September, and October
- Best Months for Honeymooners: April, May, October, and November
- Best Months for Budget Travelers: November, December, January, and February
- Best Months for Shopaholics: January and February
When: May to mid-September
What to Expect:
- Summer is the high season in Rome when temperatures are high and you'll likely be standing in long lines and walking a lot.
- Because there isn't much shade, you'll need plenty of sunscreen and drink.
- Since the days are long, you take advantage of everything the city has to offer.
When: March to early May and October to November
What to Expect:
- Since Rome is a popular tourist destination, visiting during the shoulder season doesn't mean you won't have to deal with crowds.
- The city will be somewhat less crowded than during the high season, and the weather will likely be pleasant for sightseeing.
- You shouldn’t expect to save on living and food costs since the rates are still higher than low season.
When: November to Early March (except Christmas week)
What to Expect:
- This is the ideal time to visit because there are fewer people and you can get better hotel and flight deals.
- While it can get a little chilly in the winter and there are plenty of wet days, the temperature rarely drops below freezing.
- Expect reduced waiting lines at most of the tourist attractions.
Seasons in Rome
March - May
Average Temperature: 9 - 20°C
Spring is the most pleasant time of year to visit Rome. The days are generally warm enough to go sightseeing without a coat, and evenings, while cool enough to require a jacket, are still warm enough to sit outside and eat a meal 'al fresco.'
Travel Tips: Showers are expected. Bring a light raincoat and a tiny umbrella with you.
June - August
Average Temperature: 32 - 45°C
Summer in Rome, Italy lasts from June to August, with temperatures reaching as high as 45° C. June is the perfect month to visit Rome in summer because it is nice and not too scorching like the other two months.
Travel Tips: Take a day excursion to Santa Marinella, a lovely beach about an hour's drive north of the city.
September - December
Average Temperature: 7 - 27°C
The pleasant fall weather in Rome is great for exploring the Holy City. The average temperature in October and November is a nice 20 degrees, making it T-shirt weather during the day. Rome takes on a whole different aspect and appeals when bathed in pleasant fall light.
Travel Tips: Enjoy the sunset from a vantage point such as Gianicolo Hill or the Pincio Terrace.
January - February
Average Temperature: 4 - 13°C
Visiting the Italian city during the winter months can be extremely rewarding. Rome in winter may well be the ultimate Italy holiday destination, with its multitude of cultural sights, the notable absence of people, active café and bar scene, and moderate climate that allows carefree sightseeing.
Travel Tips: Since Rome's winters can be unpredictable, it's a good idea to bring layers.
Recommended Attractions in Rome
Best Time to Visit Rome: Month on Month Guide
Average Temperature: 19° - 31°C
August is one of Rome's hottest months, with average daytime temperatures reaching 31°C and nighttime temperatures dropping to 19°C. The brilliant azure skies of August in Rome provide the ideal backdrop for the city's ruins and architecture. In August, Rome hosts a number of local summer festivals, including the Festa Della Madonna Della Neve and Ferragosto, ensuring a grand time for all visitors.
Things to do in Rome in August:
- Embark on a Walk On Walk Off Rome tour
- Go on a day trip to Naples and Pompeii
- Visit the Colosseum, Palatine Hill, and Roman Forum
- Attend the Festa della Madonna Della Neve on 5th Aug
Travel Tips: Because of the tourist rush, you should make reservations at the restaurants you want to visit and keep in mind that most of them don't open for supper until after 8 pm.
Average Temperature: 18° - 23°C
With an average temperature of 18°C and highs of 23°C, Rome in October is comfortable enough to walk around during the day. With the greenery and rocky architecture offering the city a lovely, old-school vibe, the warm tones of autumn bring out the most beautiful aspect of Rome. October also happens to be peak tourist season in Rome, so expect to see a lot of people visiting the city's big attractions.
Things to do in Rome in October:
- Attend the RomaEuropa Festival
- Embark on the fantastic Angels & Demons Tour
- Go on a guided tour of the Colosseum, Palatine Hill, and Roman Forum
- Spend a day at the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's Basilica
Travel Tips: To avoid paying admission, visit the museums of Rome on a Sunday, but arrive early to avoid the midday crowd.
Hacks & Tips to Visit Rome
- Download the Rome Metro App: This app will help you navigate the Rome Metro system, which can be confusing if you're not familiar with it.
- Get a Roma Pass: The Roma Pass is a great way to save money on attractions and transportation in Rome. It includes unlimited rides on the metro and buses, as well as discounts at many museums and attractions.
- Wear Comfortable Shoes: Rome is a very walkable city, but there are also a lot of cobblestone streets, so comfortable shoes are a must.
- Bring Water: Rome can be very hot in the summer, so it's important to stay hydrated. There are plenty of water fountains around the city where you can fill up your bottle for free.
- Be Careful of Pickpockets: Unfortunately, pickpocketing is common in tourist areas in Rome. Be sure to keep your belongings close to you and be aware of your surroundings.
- Visit the Vatican Museums Early: The Vatican Museums are one of the most popular attractions in Rome, so they can get very crowded. If possible, visit early in the day to avoid the crowds.
- Watch Out for Scams: There are many scams in Rome, so it's important to be aware of them. For example, beware of people offering to clean your shoes or asking for money for taking a photo with you.
Know More About the Best Time to Visit Rome
The months of April and June, as well as September and October, are ideal for a trip to Rome.
Rome's high season begins with the arrival of summer from May through mid-September
July is the hottest month in Rome with an average temperature of 25°C followed by the beginning of August.
Rome's coldest months are January and February.
November is the wettest month in Rome, with an average rainfall of 3.7 inches.
Spring, especially mid-March, and April is a great time to go sightseeing in Rome.
If you want to avoid the crowds, the winter months of January and February are the best time to visit Rome.
Travel during the winter months to get the best rates, or stay during the middle of the week to get the best deals.
Anytime between May and September is the best time to go swimming at the beach in Rome.
You can visit the Colosseum at night, walk along shaded paths filled with pine trees while admiring the views of Rome, and more.
You can go ice skating in Castel Sant'Angelo, visit the Indoor Market in Testaccio, and picnic at the Villa Borghese.
You can walk around the Roman Forum and Palatine Hill, view the Pentecost petal shower at the Pantheon, and visit the Vatican Gardens.
You can take more time at each attraction thanks to the reduced crowd, go on a walk around the beautiful Roman neighborhood, and enjoy Halloween celebrations.
The best time to visit Rome with kids is September and October when the weather is pleasant and the crowds are reduced.
The best time to visit Rome for shopping is early January to mid-February.
The best time to visit Rome while traveling solo is from mid-March to May and mid-September to November.
the best time to visit Rome for couples is anytime in April, May, October, and November.